Friday

Mr. Darcy and the Space-time Continuum, R.I. Five

If you have not read the first installment, you're going to want to begin there before continuing this journey, for this is installment five....

Mr. Darcy and the Space-time Continuum

* * * * *     
Space, the new frontier. This is the journey of the starship Venture ... 
its mission: to confuse Mr. Darcy, to introduce him to strange people and even stranger places, to brazenly go where no 19th century English gentleman has gone before...

* * * * *


Meanwhile on the lift ...
Darcy began, “Did I hear correctly? -- no, forgive me, madam, I was about to be impertinent ...” Then more to himself, he said aloud, as he tried to pace, “ ... but upon second thought, since this is my dream -- if it is a dream, and at this point I would certainly prefer to believe it is a dream -- so if I am ever to be impertinent, I should be allowed to be so in my own dream!  ... which also explains why I allowed myself to enter this small space alone with a young lady ...”

Aurora, feeling quite puzzled, asked, “What are you talking about?

“Pardon me, madam, did I hear the captain address you as lieutenant?”

“Yes, you heard correctly. Now may I ask you a question?’

“You may indeed.”

“Why are you refusing to give the captain your name?”

“Your captain, madam, is a ruffian, and I will not be bullied into anything. Had I been treated more civilly, I gladly would have conversed freely with him.”

“Then why ask for tea?”

“It was an attempt at discovering whether the captain is willing to be reasonable, or is simply going to resort to further threats. It is a display of my own obstinate nature -- rather a nasty trait, I must say. But as I am in the company of such a gentlewoman as yourself, I shall gladly introduce myself: I am Fitzwilliam Darcy, of the Darcys of Pemberley.” He then bowed.

Aurora, knowing enough of custom to bow in return, then said, “I am Nicole Aurora, Chief Communications Officer aboard the starship Venture.”

Choosing for the moment to ignore her title, as well as the reference to a starship, Darcy acknowledged, “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Miss Aurora. It will prove a difficulty for me to address you as lieutenant, I’m afraid -- would that be considered horribly rude?”

“You have my permission to address me as Miss Aurora.”

Continuing with something he felt more significant, he said, “Miss Aurora, this cubicle that is said to be able to take us to a more comfortable room is not moving; how then is it to...” the doors suddenly opened, showing Darcy that the cubicle, referred to as the lift, did in fact take them somewhere.

* * * * *

Mr Darcy falls in love . . . our new book about Darcy's side of Pride and Prejudice, 
released this 200th anniversary of that romantic story . . . and this also being the year of the release of the new Star Trek sequel . . . put them both together and you have . . .
 

Mr. Darcy and the Space-time Continuum
Look on the right sidebar for links to more installments 

Noe
copyright ©2013

No comments:

Post a Comment